Sweet Potato Cupcakes
Yields: 24 cupcakes
Preheat oven to: 350F
- Dry Ingredients
In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (except sugars). Set the bowl aside. In a large bowl, whisk the butter until smooth. Then whisk in sugars and add eggs one at a time until well blended. To the butter mixture, alternately add the dry ingredients and sweet potato puree until all combined. Fill 24 cupcake liners 3/4 full of batter.Bake for 18-22 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- One 8 oz pkg. cream cheese, room temp.
- 1 c. unsalted butter (2 sticks), room temp.
- 1/2 c. light brown sugar
- 6 c. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
In a large bowl, whip the cream cheese and butter until soft and pliable. Add brown sugar. Then add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. *See Baking Tip #3 below for details regarding storage of cream cheese frosting*
- 1 c. crushed pecans
- *See Baking Tip #4 below for the best way to crush whole pecans*
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
In a large bowl, toss pecans with melted better until coated. In a small bowl, mix the remainder of ingredients. Toss dry ingredients with pecans and butter until pecans are evenly coated. Line a baking sheet with Parchment Paper or foil and spread pecans in an even layer. Bake for 6-8 min. at 350F. Let cool completely.
To assemble, pipe cream cheese frosting on cupcakes and top with candied pecans.
- Baking powder vs. baking soda-Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate while baking powder is made up of sodium bicarb (baking soda), cream of tartar, and starch.
- If you're out of baking soda, you can sub baking powder at a 2:1 ratio (use 2 tsp. powder if recipe calls for 1 tsp. soda) and cut the salt in half.
- If you're out of baking powder, you can make your own by mixing 2 parts cream of tartar to 1 part baking soda. Use the amount the recipe specifies.